Matt Morgan

Default Baking Stones

"David Conner" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Does anyone have a good suggestion for a baking stone that doesn't cost an
> arm and leg? Say, for example, something I can go down to the local stone
> supplier or floor tile seller and get.
>
> Would slate work?
>
> Thanks

I used a slate flagstone I picked up from Home Depot. After 7 uses, it
cracked down the middle. It held for a while until I tried to transport it
and it split in two.

I am presently using a glazed porcelain floor tile, fired at 1700 degrees
and cut to fit my oven. I have had stellar results with it, and it's a snap
to clean afterward when I bake something on it that makes a mess (like a
pizza with extra cheese and pepperoni).

HTH.