Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default So are you guilty of having (one or more of) "5 bad (restaurant) customer habits"?

On 2012-05-24 19:48:12 +0000, jmcquown said:

> IMHO, large parties, even if they do call ahead, cause the most
> problems for servers. Especially at lunch time. I remember when I
> worked as a server (we're talking 1980 or so) going around the tables
> for a large group. I asked if anyone needed more coffee, more cream
> for their coffee or more tea. And would anyone like more bread or
> rolls? Butter?

When it's a place I have a good personal relationship with the staff I
almost try to avoid large parties so as not to damage my rep there.
When I am there in such circumstances, I'll bellow out mass questions
and such. It's a nuisance. And there is always somebody endlessly
whining about one thing or other. I feel embarrassed to a small extent
but I also feel somewhat culpable, since it's *MY* place.

In sum, I avoid going to places with friends where I have to heard
cats, coddle, etc.

> Invariably I was told "no thank you". The next pass around the table,
> maybe 5 minutes later, netted a "why don't we have enough
> butter/cream/bread? All the servers (there were usually two-three of
> us for large parties) would run their butts off to accommodate these
> people. And the total tip from a party of 12-15? About a quarter per
> person. Whoo hoo! This is the job I want! Running my ass off for much
> less than minimum wage, relying on the kindness of others who have
> absolutely no idea what servers do to get their food out to them in a
> timely manner.

I don't know how regional this is, or what. But I never hear so much
or note so much about chiseler's tips in CA. But I sure did in OK/TX.

I use to live with a actress that waited tables through college. She
got me on a tight leash at 20% if the service was good. Most of my life
I knew they needed the money more than me.

Additionally when working in bars/clubs as a musician I heard the same
noise. I got in the habit of giving a big tip with the first drink of
the night and could guarantee steady service thereafter.