Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default So are you guilty of having (one or more of) "5 bad (restaurant)customer habits"?

On 24/05/2012 3:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Invariably I was told "no thank you". The next pass around the table,
> maybe 5 minutes later, netted a "why don't we have enough
> butter/cream/bread? All the servers (there were usually two-three of us
> for large parties) would run their butts off to accommodate these
> people. And the total tip from a party of 12-15? About a quarter per
> person. Whoo hoo! This is the job I want! Running my ass off for much
> less than minimum wage, relying on the kindness of others who have
> absolutely no idea what servers do to get their food out to them in a
> timely manner.

I would hate to be a waiter for Big Niece and her husband. They are
tightwads, and even if they did eat their fill and run up a huge tab I
don't imagine they would tip well. And she can be very demanding. My
FiL used to host a Christmas party/birthday party every year at the
military institute. It was a brunch with entertainment. He always
arranged for us to have a private room and there would be one or two
waiters bringing our beverages.

Here is how it went down one year. The waiter came around with coffee.
BN wanted tea, so the waiter had to go and get tea for her. He brought
her tea. There was a pitcher of cream on the table. BN wanted milk, so
the waiter went and got her a pitcher of milk. Before he could get
away, she asked for a glass of orange juice. He came with the orange
juice and then BN asked for a glass of milk..... the water disappeared.
I don't know if BN got her glass of milk, but that waiter wasn't dumb
enough to come back. I don't blame him at all.