Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default So are you guilty of having (one or more of) "5 bad (restaurant) customer habits"?

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-20120521>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Cathy! LTNS! Where've you been?! Hopefully everything is good in your
life. Set up a poll and remind people about the RFC website, would you
please?

I don't eat out very often. I did have dinner at a restaurant last night
with a friend/neighbor as a thank-you for cat-sitting for a week. Dockside
in Beaufort, SC is absolutely delightful! And we didn't frustrate the
server. We did have a short wait before we were seated, but this was a
small restaurant so that was to be expected.

IMHO, large parties, even if they do call ahead, cause the most problems for
servers. Especially at lunch time. I remember when I worked as a server
(we're talking 1980 or so) going around the tables for a large group. I
asked if anyone needed more coffee, more cream for their coffee or more tea.
And would anyone like more bread or rolls? Butter?

Invariably I was told "no thank you". The next pass around the table, maybe
5 minutes later, netted a "why don't we have enough butter/cream/bread? All
the servers (there were usually two-three of us for large parties) would run
their butts off to accommodate these people. And the total tip from a party
of 12-15? About a quarter per person. Whoo hoo! This is the job I want!
Running my ass off for much less than minimum wage, relying on the kindness
of others who have absolutely no idea what servers do to get their food out
to them in a timely manner.

Missed you, Cathy!

Jill