Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Grocery List tool - shop fast, shop easy

On Mon, 21 May 2012 15:07:41 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>It would be illegal to program your gas pumps POS terminals to require
>the ZIP code. And the credit card clearinghouses know this. I
>suspect it's one or two branded gas stations chains that do this. And
>they could (and will) be sued with the recent rulings against this
>practice.

It is done often and in different states and different gas companies.
IMO, it is a good security measure. Recently, I lost my corporate gas
card and someone ran up about $600 in charges. All at one station in
two days. If the zip had to be put in, it would have been rejected.
While it did not have to be paid, it was a PITA to get it taken care
of, new card issued, etc.

I really don't care who knows my zip code. It is not a secret and
contains no personal information.

>I'm know. I'm picking nits. But I would file a complaint and not buy
>gas there.

I'd not waste my time. It is not just gas stations, other POS
terminals are asking for the zip.