Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Grocery List tool - shop fast, shop easy

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Mon, 21 May 2012 16:54:45 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>> -snip-
>>>
>>>I think she thinks she's paying with her credit card. But if she's
>>>getting cash back at a POS terminal, she's isn't using a credit card.

>> ??? Is that illegal in TX? I've never done it, but every time I
>> use my credit card at Sam's, the terminal asks *twice* if I want cash
>> back.

-snip-

>Discover may be different, especially if it was issues by Sams. Is it
>linked to any bank accounts?

Nope. The Sam's discover card *is* a special case, though. They
don't even take visa or MC in our Sam's. I had chopped up my last
Discover card because they kept calling me to sell me extras--- but
then Sam's offered me $100 to open one of their accounts and I'm a
sucker for cash. This time when Discover started calling I just
blocked their number.

It only pays about 1% on purchases, but it is handy to keep track of
what I'm spending there each month. [I could use it in other stores,
but I don't because my Chase visas all pay 2-5%]

>> OTOH- I think she was talking about the 'cash back' bonus you can get
>> by using a credit card. I'm getting 5% on groceries this quarter--
>> other quarters it might be gas- or something else.

>Oh. Sheesh. She's as bad at reading comprehension as she is at
>writing comprehension.
>
>I just went back a re-read it and no, it still doesn't make any sense
>the way she worded it:
>
>"Maybe different banks have different policies. AFAIC, there's no
>reason to use a debit card (unless you want a cash withdrawal); but I
>just do cash back because it's paid off at the end of the month
>anyway."
>
>She mentions "cash withdrawals" and then "cash back" in the next
>sentence, so it certainly does sound like she's talking about getting
>cash back at the POS terminal. "I just do cash back..."

You could be right. My mind-reading capabilities suck these days.

-snip-

>Anyway: Smoke-grilled chuck end pork tenderloin, pankoed potato
>pancakes, and snap peas for dinner. As soon as I stop trying to
>figure out how people's minds work defectively and get off my ass and
>cook dinner.

I got so tired over it I finally used that box of hamburger helper
that I bought just to show my wife the blurb on the box; "Now tastes
better" -- not 'tastes great' or even 'new flavors' .

I wonder if that was a foreign language ad or what? To me it says-
'We tasted bad before. Still not good, but we're trying'

Some garlic, onion, basil and mozzarella made it work for me.

Jim