Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burgundy, Mosel, and Alsace

On 5/17/12 3:52 PM, DaleW wrote:

> With teriyaki salmon, storebought Korean pancakes, brussels sprouts,
> and a spicy Napa slaw (cabbage 2 ways!), a really terrible looking
> bottle of 1992 Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin. Part of a mixed lot where I
> was interested in other things, I maybe added $10-15 total to bid for
> 3 bottles of this. Really low expectations (and had a bottle of
> Alesia PN in reserve)- signs of major seepage, wine stained labels,
> though fills are good. But cork comes out whole and wine is actually
> better than I expected - about what you would think a decently stored
> village ‘92 would be like. Still some cherry fruit, a hint of
> volatility, mushrooms and a little ashtray. This is tired as one
> might expect and one glass nursed for 2 hours is plenty, rest in
> vinegar crock, but hey we’re talking under $5 for an experiment. C+

Ah, yes, those mixed lot "extras!" I opened one of those '93 de Merode
Cortons a week or two ago... mheh.

> Glorious spring day, we decided to have a glass of wine on front
> porch before dinner. The 2000 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile”
> Riesling from 375 ml was alas suffering from premOx. My 750s have
> been fine, but the halves have all been at least advanced. C

Bummer, in the extreme.

> Dinner was chicken wings in a Asian chile/citrus glaze, rice with
> nori, and broccoli. I opened the 2008 Willi Schaefer “Graacher
> Domprobst” Kabinett Riesling #2. Now THIS is Riesling. Impressively
> deep with snappy but integrated acidity, bright citrus and green
> apple fruit over a mineral core. Seriously good Kabinett. A-

I had some of this but didn't hang on to any. Well, I don't recall if
it was the #2 now, but it was the Graacher Domprobst Kab in any case.
Schaefer really did well in '08 IMO.

Mark Lipton