Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Wine

On 2012-05-18 13:33:09 +0000, Brooklyn1 said:

> I like an occasional rum and coke, but unless one sees the rum bottle
> there is no way to know which rum was used...

It's funny how since you can't tell, you're adamant no one can tell.
All Californians are fake, all Italians are thieves. What a simple
world you live in! Everything has been worked out; it's all so very
orderly and two-dimensional.

I can certainly tell the difference between a number of rums when mixed
with coke. Maybe you just flavor the coke with a little splash of rum.
Certainly if all you drink is cheap rum there couldn't be any
significant the difference. Rum seems to be one of those spirits that's
going through an uptick in innovation these days. Last year in Lyon I
encountered a number of bistros that had infused rums in big 5-gallon
glass jugs with dippers that tasted quite distinctive. But of course
adding coke to those--quelle horreurs!

> ...the alcohol is chemically precisely the same in all booze, mostly
> the higher price of top shelf is from the fancy schmancy packaging and
> advertising.

Again with the cut-and-paste wine snob mantra: If your meat-and-potatos
palate can't find a difference between good and bad booze that's fine.
To use yourself as a model for what everybody else OUGHT to think is so
very weak.

The long list of things about which you know nothing apparently
includes packaging and advertising costs for spirits. The most
expensive booze doesn't seem to have any mainstream advertising at all
that I see. How dramatically expensive is an embossed label versus
non-embossed?

What a lot of noise you make when your premise is so simple: Expensive
is bad, cheap is good. Okay, now we know how you feel about spending
money; we can gauge your concept of value by reading any price sticker.

> The flavoring ingredients are more costly (pennies) but those don't
> give people headaches or hangovers,

I'm of the belief that the way they can make booze cheaper is by
spending less time on every ounce, repeated filtering being primary.
Maybe that's juju, but I think the more you filter spirits, the less
the hangover possibilities. Also the less sugar in your drink, however
it got there; whether booze or the mixer.

> There is no more chance of a headache from a 7&7 with
> Seagram's Seven or a 7&7 with Crown Royal. People have
> hangovers/headaches from over indulging is all.

You clearly have some gaps in your medical understanding, but it's your
generalizations about "people" that underscore your big deficits. Can
you tap dance? No? Then either nobody can *really* tap dance or
tap-dancing is an empty worthless pursuit for the stupid and
misinformed.

I think I've broken the one-digit combination on your brain lock.