Posted to alt.food.wine
Ken Blake[_2_] Ken Blake[_2_] is offline

Default A new grape to me.

On Thu, 17 May 2012 17:51:12 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> I came across some Solena Pinot *Gris* (2010 Williamette) today. The
> wine merchant agreed that it was just Pinot Grigio but said that the
> vintner felt that "Pinot" was French and wanted to be consistent for
> some reason. Well, we'll see what it is like.

There are lots of Pinot Gris made in France, and elsewhere. Pinot
Grigio and Pinot Gris are the same grape, "Pinot Grigio" is the
Italian name for it and "Pinot Gris" is the French name. Both "Grigio"
and "Gris" mean "gray."

--
Ken Blake