Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Wine

On 2012-05-17 21:21:23 +0000, sf said:

> On Thu, 17 May 2012 12:19:05 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> If you like good dry and sweet vermouths, Dolin rocks.

> I don't think I have much of a palate for vermouths, but I'm willing
> to give it a try. Does it go with all types of gin or one better than
> another? I'm back to London style gin (Beefeaters at the moment).

The white/dry is a little on the sweeter side so I think that works
better with London dry than it does the more floral gins. I really like
them too: Zuidam, Damrak, Hendricks. I think they work better with
Noilly. But it's a pretty minor distinction.

The wife drinks the red with gin (2/1) and up and has moved from M&R
Rosso to that as her favorite. I like both up. I like Lillet up.
Noilly--only for mixing.

> Wondering if a decent bar would have it, so I can try it out there?

I doubt it. Those slackers don't know what vermouth is for anyway. I
now have exactly three bars ID'd with Noilly Pratt and they are all
"finer" places so I pay for it.

> You have no idea what a production it was finding a bar that had a
> bottle of Plymouth gin. I'm glad I tried it out in a bar though,
> because I saved myself the cost of a bottle. It tasted like water -
> flavorless.

I read an article comparing gins that really gave Plymouth significant
kudos. I've tried it a number of times, but don't get it. It is almost
devoid of personality. It's like Seagram's or something. Maybe those
gins are made for people who think vermouth isn't suppose to be added
to a martini. Hmm, never thought about that.

One bar had the usual suspects (Tanq, Tanq 10, Beefeater's, Bombay,
Bombay Sapphire) and only one "novelty" gin: Martin Miller (which I
call Marty Milner to no humorous response). I drink it 5/1 with Lillet.
I think Miller is a little too floral, but it has slowly become my
favorite combination.

So then they get a bottle of the hippest new you-gotta-try: Nolet. That
stuff is the most candy-coated gin I ever had. I sent it back! I
can't believe I would EVER sent back a martini, but there had to be a
first time. It tasted vaguely like bubble gum.