Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Wine

On Fri, 18 May 2012 07:29:48 +1000, atec77 <"atec77 >
wrote:

>On 18/05/2012 7:21 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 May 2012 12:19:05 -0700, > wrote:
>>
>>> If you like good dry and sweet vermouths, Dolin rocks.

>> I don't think I have much of a palate for vermouths, but I'm willing
>> to give it a try. Does it go with all types of gin or one better than
>> another? I'm back to London style gin (Beefeaters at the moment).
>> Wondering if a decent bar would have it, so I can try it out there?
>>
>> You have no idea what a production it was finding a bar that had a
>> bottle of Plymouth gin. I'm glad I tried it out in a bar though,
>> because I saved myself the cost of a bottle. It tasted like water -
>> flavorless. Ugh.
>>

>You should try a " square gin "
> Berkely or perhaps for a good gin
>http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products...hp?prodid=1801
>
>subtle flavour and with the right mixer excellent

Crystal Palace is a pretty good gin... works fine for gin and tonic
and most mixed drinks, not wonderful for dry 2nis. It's plain stupid
to use any top shelf booze for typical mixed drinks. I like my 2ni
with Boodles British 90.4, but it'd be as dumb to use Boodles for a
gin and tonic as using Chivas Regal Scotch Royal Salute 21 Year Old
Blue for a scotch sour.