Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Wine

On 2012-05-16 16:52:05 +0000, sf said:

> On Wed, 16 May 2012 08:15:32 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>>> A very good vermouth is the french Noilly Prat, expecially the red.

>> I prefer the dry, but like them both. Now I'm starting to use Dolin a
>> lot now. I use Lillet too, though some quibble about whether it's a
>> vermouth, and then we get into long tedious conversations regarding
>> what is a vermouth and what isn't.
>>
>> For the record the "Extra Dry" Dolin is just as bad as the Marini & Rossi.

> The worst part about Martini & Rossi is traveling and thirsting for a
> decent martini... I ask if they make martinis and they proudly pull
> out of bottle of Martini & Rossi. Say what? Where's the gin?

You mean in Europe I suppose. Maybe Canada? Yeah, over there "martini"
means a vermouth and they ask blanc or rouge. I endlessly tried to get
a American-style martini in France the last couple of years and it was
a humorous quest.

I began saying "gin martini", or "martini gin". After establishing
blanc they would bring a 50/50 martini/gin combination with a slice of
lemon. Frequently they would ask if I wanted two ice cubes or three. I
suppose it is a serious consideration to them.

Only when I went to a conspicuous hotel like Hotel de Crillon did I
manage to get a bona-fide martini. They are probably available at
American ex-pat places but I never went there.

After doing this twice for three weeks at a time, north to south in
France, I have to say I came back a Martini & Rossi Blanc fan and drink
it with a slice of lemon at home! I'm converted! Though once back I
have not found a single bar that has Martini & Rossi, dry or sweet,
available. Only the bitter "extra dry" which they use to spoil their
gin.

In fairness, even though I now love M&R blanc, it's not the best choice
for a gin martini, it's too sweet really. For me it's Noilly Prat or
Dolin.