Victor Sack

Default Fresh beets...what to go with?

Fx199 > wrote:

> I have some fresh beets in the garden...what would be a good meal to plan
> around them? What kind of meats generally go good with them.
> I was just going to steam the beets, but am open for alternatives...

Try this recipe (adapted from a Russian cookbook), which I posted
before.

Beets Trans-Volga style

1 kg (2.2 lbs) beets
250 g (0.55 lbs) carrots
5-6 mushrooms (wild for preference), dried
1-2 onions, finely minced
1/2 lemon
100-150 g (3.5-5.3 oz) sour cream
8 cloves garlic, finely minced
8 black peppercorns
3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon red pepper
1/2-1 teaspoon mint
1 teaspoon salt

Scrub and rinse the vegetables and cut them up in large pieces (small
beets in half, medium ones in quarters, large ones in 6-8 pieces). Put
in a saucepan and add water to just cover them. Add mushrooms and bring
to boil. Take out the mushrooms, cut them in strips and put them back
again. Immediately add salt and onions and continue cooking over very
low heat. When there is almost no water left, add black pepper, mint,
lemon zest, half of the garlic and bay leaves and let simmer for 3-4
minutes. Mix everything well together and warm through for no longer
than 5 minutes. Take from the heat, sprinkle with the juice of 1/2
lemon and let stand for 1-2 minutes. Meanwhile mix sour cream with red
pepper and the rest of the garlic. To serve, cut the vegetables in
smaller pieces and pour sour cream over them.

Victor