Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,alt.philosophy,talk.politics.animals,alt.politics
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default "Speciesism" - nothing wrong with it

On Apr 17, 11:19*pm, dh@. wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 07:07:52 -0700, George Plimpton > wrote:

> >> Being non-speciesist does not require to get as upset about the death
> >> of a snake as about the death of a human child.

> >Of course it does. *Not only that, but it says we should be indifferent
> >as to which one we save from harm. *So, if I see vehicles about to crush
> >a snake and a human child, and I have time to rescue only one of them, I
> >should give equal consideration to rescuing the snake and the child -
> >essentially, flip a coin.

> >Don't give me any of your specious sophistry about figuring out which
> >one is more likely to have a richer, longer life of positive value
> ><snicker> if saved -

> * * How could a guy who doesn't "believe the distinction between lives of
> positive value" and "lives of negative value" means anything, possibly think
> about such an issue in any sort of realistic detail? A mental handicap like that
> would necessarily prevent him from being able to think about it, though he may
> dishonestly claim to have lectured college students on that subject even though
> they know more about than he ever will. A student going into animal research
> certainly has a much better understanding about such values of life than a
> person who is as mentally restricted as Rupert claims to be.

I believe that you have not adequately defined the distinction between
lives of positive value and lives of negative value. This is not a
mental handicap. It is an entirely reasonable conclusion to come to
based on what you have written.

I have lectured university students about animal ethics, yes.

> >"non-speciesism" (****, what a revolting,
> >disgusting made-up word) requires I give rescuing the snake as much
> >consideration as rescuing the child. * That's why it's bullshit. *It is
> >*OBVIOUS* to all right-thinking people that the child must be rescued.
> >It's something we all know intuitively is right.

> * * Only if we're speciesist, which decent *people are because it's good to be
> speciesist.

The non-speciesists can agree as well.