Reg

Default Fresh beets...what to go with?

Fx199 wrote:

> I have some fresh beets in the garden...what would be a good meal to plan
> around them? What kind of meats generally go good with them.
> I was just going to steam the beets, but am open for alternatives...

Here's something slightly different. It's a great way to make
use of beets.

Beet and Horseradish Cured Salmon

Adapted from "Garde Manger : The Art and Craft of the Cold Kitchen"

Yield: 2 3/4 lbs, 12 - 14 2 1/2 oz servings

3 lb salmon fillet
3/4 lb finely chopped or grated raw beets
1 lb fresh horseradish
6 oz sugar
6 oz salt
2 T cracked pepper

Remove pinbones from fillet and place on plastic wrap. Mix the cure
ingredients and pack evenly over salmon. Thinner portions should
get less cure. Wrap well and cure under refrigeration for 3 days.
Scrape off cure and serve. Keeps up to a week in the refrigerator.