Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Lining a lazy Susan cupboard

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 11:50:43 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, says...
>>
>> The Cook wrote:
>> > On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:35:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > In that case measure from the center to an outer edge. Take a string
>> > and tie a pencil to one end. Measure from the pencil to the length
>> > you just measured. Then hold the other end on the piece of paper.
>> > Draw a circle. Cut it out and test it in the circle.It should fit
>> > pretty well and you can make whatever adjustments you need.

>> I don't HAVE a circle. It's the pie shaped one.

> Pies are round. pie slices are cut from the round.
>
> You can use the radius measurement to draw a circle on paper. Then cut
>the pie-shape from the circle. By measuring the outer curve on the LS
>shelf, you can measure that on the edge of the circle to get the right
>size slice.
>
> This is kids stuff, Julie. Your daughter could do it, why not let her.

Any five year old who can cut out paper dolls can do it, even kids who
are learning impaired are adept at paper and scissor tasks. And it's
very easy to make a compass (trammel) that will assist in drawing
large circles; a cheapo wooden yard stick with a small nail (brad)
driven into one end and tape a pencil at whatever mark one needs can
lay out a circle up to nearly six feet in diameter... make ones own or
buy:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GEN...949?Pid=search
There is also a type of trammel for laying out an ellipse:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trammel_of_Archimedes
I must have a dozen freebie wooden yard sticks that are used for
advertising by millinery shops... for laying out larger arcs clamp
however many together... professional precision trammel sets include
several rods that can be screwed together, enough for laying out like
a fifty foot diameter. Landscapers lay out huge arcs by driving a
stake into the ground and using a long length of line to mark the arc.
I'm beginning to think that as a child Julie was truly dropped on her
head and/or the OB used ice tongs to extract her.