Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default 2012-03-28 Dinner

Marty wrote:

>> Salad: English cucumber slices, mandoline-shaved radish, thinly-sliced
>> onion, clementine "flowers", sunflower sprouts, pineapple "shims",
>> lemon juice, salt, powdered chile de árbol, and white pepper

> Sunflower sprouts? Hmm. Never heard of eating them like other sprouts but
> I've got a ton of them around my bird feeder right now...

They're my favorite sprouts. They've got a slight sunflower-seed taste.

> BTW what do you mean by pineapple "shim"?

A small thin wedge.

>> Chicken breast strips: brined and pan-cooked
>> Sauce for chicken (served on the side): coconut vinegar, shallot,
>> garlic, cinnamon, kaffir lime leaves, Red Savina chile, carrot, water,
>> mangoes, and heavy cream
>>
>> Rice: brown rice, onion, safflower oil, banana, nutmeg, pink pepper,
>> salt, smoked serrano chile powder, lemon juice, and water
>>
>> I had ginger beer to drink; Lin had a cranberry highball.
>>
>> I wasn't crazy about the rice by itself, but everything went together
>> wonderfully.

> Without tasting any of it I'd have to agreee. It all looked good until you
> took a left with the banana rice. ;-) But hey, if you don't try it, you
> don't know, right?

The banana flavor wasn't overwhelming. I think it was more weird for me
because I *knew* what I'd put in there. Lin didn't know, and her
unbiased opinion was that it was good.

Bob