Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Curry?

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Penzeys Maharahja Curry Powder. I'm not a fan of Indian cookery,
>>> maybe because every time I tried one of NYC's pricey Indian restos I
>>> found their entrees to be grease laden smelly slop. So I make my own
>>> versions using Penzeys Maharaja Curry Powder, it's a bit pricy but a
>>> very little goes a long way, usually with chicken or pork stew, I hate
>>> lamb... I like to use it to flavor rice pilafs, even rice and black
>>> beans... a 1/2 tsp to a cup of rice is very flavorful.
>>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...maharajah.html

>> I don't like that one. It tastes musty to me. I like their sweet
>> curry powder (even though I usually am not into mild things). BUT
>> it must be the one in the small container. For some very strange
>> reason, the formula is not the same as the one in the large
>> container. I first noticed that a couple of years ago and saw it
>> again within the last 90 days or so, when I was last in Penzey's.

> Not sure what you mean by "small container". Penzeys packages spices
> in mylar type resealable bags or in screw top jars of several sizes.
> I've never noticed a difference in product regardless what amount I
> purchase. I've never been to a Penzeys store, I've always phoned in
> my orders. Penzey's has recently opened a store in Albany, NY at the
> Crossgates Mall, I haven't been, probably never will, it's still a
> good hour drive and I've never been to that maul. Btw, their sweet
> curry powder is not "sweet", it just doesn't include hot pepper is
> all. Their Maharajah curry powder isn't hot either, it's also
> "sweet", it's expensive (costs twice as much) because it contains a
> lot of saffron. I happen to like the taste and aroma of saffron, and
> it adds good color too... maybe to you saffron smells musty... it
> can't taste musty, musty is an odor, but it can taste moldy. Many
> people don't like saffron, I think it's an acquired taste.

In the shops, they usually have a bag, plus a larger jar and a
smaller jar. I don't think I have seen the curry powder in a bag.
And you are right. Usually the containers contain the exact
same thing, but in this case, they do not. Wait! I have both, so
I'll type up the lists of ingredients:

Sweet Curry (1.1 oz.): turmeric, coriander, cumin, fenugreek,
ginger, nutmeg, fennel, cinnamon, white pepper, cloves, cardamom,
and black and red pepper.

Sweet Curry Powder (2.2 oz.): turmeric, coriander, cumin, ginger,
fenugreek, nutmeg, fennel, cinnamon, white pepper, cardamom
cloves, Tellicherry black pepper, and cayenne red pepper.

So the amounts of four of the ingredients are different. I don't
believe it is just a reordering of ingredients that are present in
the same amount, because I liked the smaller jar and then decided
I went through it quickly enough to warrant getting the larger
jar. It was not as good. The next time I was there, I happened
to compare the labels.

Other differences a the word Powder in the name, and the
caption underneath. But these are sold in the store, as the large
and small version of sweet curry powder.

(Of course, I normally use the various components of curries [and
other dishes that fall under that name in western parlance]. I
used the prepared powder in a more-casual way.)

I have come to the same conclusion about saffron. It tastes musty
(or if you prefer, moldy) to me, so the Maharajah Curry Powder
also tastes musty to me. That was disappointing, because I had
high hopes for it, and it costs more than the others do. I wonder
whether all such things are genetic, like the way we perceive
cilantro.

--
Jean B.