Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Curry?

On 2012-03-24, jmcquown > wrote:

> Lucky you! Doing a google search (not counting stoplights!) found *one*
> place listed as a health food store. That's a GNC. I remember GNC from
> malls in the 1970's. I can't say I was particularly impressed then, nor am
> I likely to be now.

Ugh! I know of whom you speak. Pill pushers. They shoulda been
named Pill Barn. Not a true health food store. Most real health food
stores, while also pushing pills, will usually have other food goods.
Our local one has bulk foods (which some are pretty bad), a cold case
with elk meat, miso, organic cheeses, etc and a produce section with
organic fresh produce, including fresh whole daikon. I recently
bought some organic homemade candied ginger that is to die for.

> Again with the bulk bins! I've never seen bulk anything at the grocery
> stores. I guess I'm just not lucky enough to live where they have such
> things

The well known Whole Foods has huge bulk bins. Gotta watch bulk
foods. Large corporations have taken over that racket and some of the
stuff is atrocious. I can't get No.1 grade bulgar, but I can get bulk
tabouli mix, which even looks too horrible to try. Also, bulk foods
have the possibility of harboring insects. I got a total infestation
of those meal weevils from some bulk something I once bought.
Grrr.... Even ground spices ended up getting tossed.

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!