Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Curry?

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>> If you want to make a start on cooking real curry, I recommend getting
>>> yourself a basic masala set like this.
>>>
>>> http://www.ppk.me.uk/bina/dabba.htm
>>>
>>> Janet
>>>

>> That's a nifty spice storage gadget, for sure! But what do you do when
>> the spices run out? I guess I'd have to order online from spicehouse.com
>> or penzey's. I know my local supermarket doesn't carry garam masala,
>> funugreek or cinnamon sticks. I'm not even sure they carry ground
>> coriander. As much as I love Publix supermarket, they have a rather
>> limited spice section.
>>
>> Do you know if the Bina site ships to the US? I sent them an email to
>> inquire, but I only see mention on the site about additional postage if
>> outside the UK but in EU. I ask because my oldest brother has a birthday
>> coming up. He loves to cook and loves different types of curries. I
>> think this would make a very nice gift!
>>
>> Jill

> Here, the little containers are empty when you buy the set. You buy the
> spices yourself.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Still doesn't tell me where to get the spices. There are no Indian (or
Asian) shops around here. My local Publix (or Food Lion, which is a sort of
shabby store) doesn't have an extensive spice selection. I guess I'd have
to order the spices online. I don't think about curry enough to care. I
just thought it might be a nice birthday gift.

Jill