Blair P. Houghton

Default i love food

alexbrown77 > wrote:
>filet mignon with an excellent bernaise sause....with an artichoke to
>start... I am in heaven....with a heart attack

Tonight I had:

A nice chardonnay (don't ask me names; at restaurants I
drink low-end wines but not mass-market ones, so I rarely
get the same one twice, and rarely try to remember them).

Nice crab cakes (knee-jerk buy at every new place I try
that serves them, because no two are the same) with a
nice tartar sauce, a nice chili sauce, and a nice red
cabbage slaw with slightly peanutty dressing that could
have been nicer.

A decent enough Syrah (never my favorite, but I figured
it'd pair up with the entree, which it did perfectly).

A terrific seared duck with a cherry/chambord sauce. Normally
I'm not a fan of sugary-fruity sauces, but duck is another
big draw wherever it appears, and this was done and seasoned
perfectly, and not drowned in the sauce, so the fruit accented
the meat, and as I said, I nailed the wine.

A great Bananas Foster with homemade vanilla ice cream,
along with a glass of 20-y.o. Taylor Fladgate tawny port.

The TF wasn't the best port I've had, but then I've had
some home-made porto smuggled here from porgieland by a
couple of porgies I used to work with, and boy, was that
a great magnum of plonk.

--Blair
"The bartender was a bit of a twit, though."