Posted to rec.food.cooking
John Kuthe[_2_] John Kuthe[_2_] is offline

Default Stale spices (was Curry?)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:44:04 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

>And some just want an occasional fling. I don't want a cabinet full of
>stale spices for an occasional curry dish. I usually buy Rajah brand and
>keep any unused portion in the freezer for next time.

That always amuses me, when people say "stale spices". You are
referring to dried spices, correct? Then by definition, they are
already stale!

There are fresh spices (like I will get when the basil plants I
planted last week get bigger) and there are dried or "stale" spices.
Drying spices was invented as a way to preserve the flavors in a spice
without allowing it to get moldy and spoiled.

John Kuthe...