Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default nitrogen wine storage?

Not quite on topic, but close...

Went out to dinner last night, and asked for a glass of pinot grigio.
It arrived looking as fizzy as champagne with a lump of sugar, and the
explanation was that the restaurant used some sort of
nitrogen-atmosphere storage system for opened bottles of wine. Drinking
it, I could feel the fizziness on my tongue, and it tasted... well, not
quite like vinegar, but close enough (no, I didn't take a second sip.
It went back).

Anybody know anything about this system? And does it normally work to
preserve wine a while, or was my experience common?