Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.food.vegan.science
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default "veganism" is bullshit

On Mar 15, 4:06*am, George Plimpton > wrote:
> On 3/14/2012 6:51 PM, Dutch wrote:
>
> >> Rupert" > wrote

> >> Perhaps you can tell me which one you have in mind.

> > The "shuffle". The vegan's core belief is that by going vegan one is no
> > longer complicit in animal suffering. When the fallaciousness of that
> > belief is pointed out to them they start shuffling. This takes various
> > forms, such as a retreat to the "less suffering" position or a switch to
> > the "injustice" position.

> The shuffle shows that "vegans" are incoherent. *They don't have a valid
> reason for not consuming animal parts. *If it's because they think doing
> so violates animals' "rights", they lose: *their consumption causes the
> violation of animals' rights. *Point this out, and they switch to
> reducing suffering, but it's possible to follow a meat-including diet
> that causes less suffering than the diets most "vegans" follow. *Suggest
> that they consume meat that involves less suffering than what is caused
> by *their* "vegan" diets, and they flip-flop back to the rights argument.

I will gladly switch to consuming meat that involves less suffering
when I am convinced that there is a practical means of doing so. You
have made some suggestions but what's holding me back is that I am not
convinced that they really would involve less suffering.

> Everything is wrong with what "vegans" claim for themselves *solely* by
> reason of not consuming animal parts. *They still violate animal rights
> in exactly the same way meat consumers do, and any given "vegan" does
> not cause less animal suffering than all meat consumers merely by reason
> of not consuming animal part - they aren't causing zero harm, they
> aren't minimizing, they aren't "doing the best they can", and they're
> not even doing better than all meat consumers.

There is no good reason for saying that not "doing the best they can"
given the limited information that is available. You also haven't
pointed out any specific example of a meat consumer who is doing
better than a vegan. For most meat consumers it is very unlikely that
they are doing better than a vegan.

You've given absolutely no good reason at all for thinking that vegans
are not genuinely concerned about animal suffering. You claim you
have, but as usual you can't deliver the goods.

> "veganism" is bullshit. *It is philosophically bankrupt.

Wrong.