Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Coffe makers

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>I know this comes up from time to time, but what are your feelings
> about coffee makers these days? French press still seems to be a
> favorite, but what about the high end drips?
>
> Technivorm seems to have better ratings than most, but is approaching
> $300. It is made in the Netherlands though, a big plus.
> http://www.wholelattelove.com/Techni...orm_thermo.cfm
>
> Most every other brand has some good ratings, but also some really
> bad ones from people with terrible experiences.
>
> Bunn makes coffee fast, but does not seem to be hot enough for some.
>
> Mr. Coffee and Black & Decker still have $19.95 models that sell by
> the millions. Are they worth it?
>
> Has anyone had a big revelation? Such as I should have spent the
> extra money and bought xxx years ago, it is well worth the cost. Or,
> It was a waste to spend so much because the $20 Mr. C makes just a
> good a cup for a lot less.
>
> My wife mentioned that she'd like to have something other that what
> she now uses. Faster and easier to pour without spilling. Personally,
> I have a cup of tea instead.

I have the Cuisinart 1200 and like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-...1498160&sr=8-1
I've compared it to French press coffee and I don't know if I can tell much
difference. The Technivorum was best rated in Cook's Illustrated sometime
back and it was felt it was best because the water heated consistently to
just over 200F, apparently the optimal temp. for the coffee to meet the
water.

The minute my coffee is done it goes into a thermal pot for the remainder of
the day. I think that's the secret. Heating after brewing destroys the
flavor.

Kent