Robert Bannister

Default Pukka mealtimes

Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:
> "Robert Bannister" > wrote in message
>
>> Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:
>>

>>> The post-pub curry is a late supper. If it is a very late opening
>>> pub

> then
>
>>> it might be a Midnight Feast.

>> Back in the 60s, I knew a curry shop in Bethnal Green that served
>> very hot and quite horrible curries till 2 am. This was more an
>> on-the-way-home snack.
>>

> In my youth there was a late night horror known as Twiggies Pie Cart.
> You could order a number of exotic dishes to stimulate the palate you
> could specify that 'hotters' were added. The pies were all at least a
> day old. If you made the mistake of dining there (for, at that time
> of night everything else was closed) you learned, early in life,
> quite what the combination of a bad hangover and heart burn felt
> like.

An unforgettable experience was the pie cart in the centre of Adelaide.
After an evening on the beer, one went there and had a 'pie floater'.
This consists of a particularly obnoxious meat pie 'floating' in a
thinnish pea soup. Tomato sauce (ketchup) is, of course, compulsory.

I'm not sure whether the pie cart is still there. Perhaps a South
Australian contributor can tell us.

--
Rob Bannister