Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Alsace and Burgundy

As I am in city tonight, we decided instead of meatless Monday to do it Sunday. Plan was for artichokes and some soup from freezer. Then Betsy invited a friend and her daughters to dinner, so we decided to do a mushroom (cremini, shiitake, and dried chanterelle) risotto as well.

With a soup (not what we thought we were thawing, apparently squash with curry) and artichokes with a curry mayonnaise, the 2002 Trimbach "Cuvee Frederic Emile" Riesling. Young but giving, apple and lemony citrus fruit with a spine of acid, minerally finish, very good length. Very nice wine. B+/A-

With the mushroom risotto, the 2009 Bertagna "Le Village" Chambolle-Musigny.. Ripe, dense, some tannins, this doesn't especially say Chambolle to me. There's some unintegrated wood notes, time might help this, but I think maybe always more International Pinot Noir than Chambolle-Musigny. But it was cheap! B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.