David C Breeden

Default Canadian oak

Rick Gibson ) wrote:

>My other hobby is woodworking and I do a lot of work with white oak, most of
>what I have is from trees cut 10-15 years ago and stored in a barn. By the
>time I take the rough lumber down the the size I need I have garbage bags
>full of oak chips. Question - would these oak chips be any good for adding
>oak flavour to the wine? The oak originally came from trees in southern
>Ontario.

>Right now most of it is going as bedding for a local pig farmer and if I can
>save some of it and put it to a better use that would be great.

>Thanks in advance
>Rick

Hi Rick,

I know there are now (and I don't know for how long, though I think
not long) coopers in Canada making barrels out of Canadian white
oak. There are six wineries trying them down in the Niagara region,
I'm told.

I tasted chard out of one at Featherstone, and the oak seemed fine.

Dave
Dave Breeden