Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan,misc.rural

Default What to eat

On 3/2/2012 9:58 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On 2 Mrz., 17:43, George > wrote:

>>> But, as we saw elsewhere, your case for this claim is not actually
>>> grounded in any evidence.

>> Correct, it isn't grounded in evidence. It is grounded in logical
>> consideration of plausible and likely true propositions.
>>

> If they are plausible and likely to be true, they must be grounded in
> some evidence.

No, that's false. The plausibility has to do with the conceptual
knowledge, not with any empirical investigation. Plenty of things that
are plausible based on reasonably well conceived ideas turn out to be
wrong upon empirical investigation, which usually leads to the discovery
of some error in the initial conception. However, even if you give a
little more thought to the concepts involved here, you aren't going to
hit upon something that would reasonably lead you to conclude that the
initial assumption of plausibility was unwarranted.

>>> Most animal products require more collateral deaths than plant-based
>>> products, because grain needs to be grown and fed to the animals and
>>> it is a less efficient means of producing protein than directly
>>> feeding the grain to humans. Grass-fed beef may possibly be an
>>> exception, but you have demonstrated yourself unable to substantiate
>>> the assertion, which you nevertheless keep making, that one serving of
>>> soy products is likely to involve hundreds of times as many deaths as
>>> one serving of grass-fed beef.

>> We aren't talking about "most animal products". 100% grass-fed beef
>> exists, and plausibly, it causes no additional animal deaths at all.
>> You might wish to speculate idly about a beef steer putting its foot
>> into a rodent burrow and crushing some rodents to death, but in fact
>> cattle try to avoid stepping in holes.
>>
>> It is entirely *implausible* to think that mechanized vegetable
>> agriculture does *not* kill significant numbers of field animals -
>> certainly far more than grazing animals.
>>

> I'm not aware of any compelling reason to think it causes more deaths
> per calorically equivalent serving.

Of *course* you are aware of that.

>>> I wouldn't want to rule out the possibility that there might be some
>>> dietary choices she might make which are not vegetarian and yet are
>>> nevertheless just as good as a vegetarian diet, but you haven't given
>>> her practical guidance about any specific such choice.

>> Not his job.
>>

> No. It's not his job. But my point that he has given her no especially
> good reason to rethink her decision to go vegetarian stands.

I already did. First, her health concerns are unwarranted, and in fact
are almost certainly just a smokescreen anyway. The whole way her post
was written reeked with insincerity. She was striving for a particular
literary "feel", rather than simply to state her concerns. It reeked of
dishonesty and insincerity from the first paragraph.

Second, her typically naive "vegan" concerns about animal cruelty were
obviously those of a neophyte, one who has not given one bit of thought
to the harm caused by what she does consume.

>> What I have done is show that the easy, casual and fatuously
>> ego-gratifying assumption that refraining from consuming animal bits
>> *necessarily* shows one is pursuing the least-harm consumption pattern
>> is false.

> Oh, good for you.

Yes.

> Obviously it is conceivable that there might be some other consumption
> patterns that wouldn't involve substantial sacrifice which cause no
> more harm. Showing that this might be the case is really not any
> extraordinary achievement.

It's enough to gut the entire "vegan" proposition.