Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jerry Avins Jerry Avins is offline

Default Quaker Oats cooking directions

On Saturday, February 25, 2012 1:25:02 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Dave, I often cook Quaker Oats. The regular in the round container, not
> some instant stuff. The ingredients are just rolled oats. You use 1 cup
> oats to 2 cups water (and a nip of salt) and you cook them for 5 minutes on
> the stove top.
>
> I have NEVER heard of cooking rolled oats for longer than 5 minutes.

That depends on the temperature. At a rolling boil, I agree with you. When we kept a banked fire in the wood stove overnight, I would put up a pot of oatmeal before bedding down for the night. The water never got too hot to put a hand into, and the cereal was cooked just fine in the morning.

I knew someone who put rolled oats into hot tap water and let it sit on the counter overnight. Come morning, it was nicely done. Bringing it to a simmer was only to get it to eating temperature.

Jerry
--
"I view the progress of science as being the slow erosion of the
tendency to dichotomize." Barbara Smuts, U. Mich.