Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lou decruss Lou decruss is offline

Default Farm Raised Trout?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:40:21 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 20/02/2012 1:21 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

>> Aren't you in Canada? How do you over winter them?

>I put on a sweater and find a good book.
>
>Oh... the fish.
>The pond was an old well casing buried upright in the ground. It only
>froze down about 6-8. I am in the Niagara peninsula and winters are
>relatively mild here. The cold wouldn't kill them but the methane from
>rotting vegetation would, so I got a cheap air pump and rain a line with
>an air stone to aerate the water, which also helps to prevent it from
>freezing completely. As long as the air pump survived the fish made it
>through the winter.
>
>This year as been exceptionally mild, and last summer I replaced that
>old well casing pond with a plastic preformed pond. It is not as deep.
>I raked out as many leaves as I could and hooked up the pond. It has not
>frozen over completely yet this winter. There has always been at least
>6" of open water so I can toss in some food. They seem fine this winter.

Last winter I was doing house inspections. One was in foreclosure
which we didn't contact but he had a damage claim so I had to go take
pictures of the house. He had a big multi level pond with waterfalls
and many fish. I assumed the running water kept it from freezing but
I asked why he had so many extension cords running to the setup. He
had to heal the ponds. He was in the middle of loosing his house but
he was heating friggin goldfish in one of the worst winters we've ever
had here.

Lou