Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Best non stick technology

mkr5000 wrote:

> What is the best non stick skillet you can buy right now? With the low pfoa?

PFOA is mostly an issue for people who make
the pans or live near the factories where the
pans are made. As a consumer, your biggest risk
is from scorching the pan, which breaks it down
into various toxic compounds the most hazardous
of which is hydroxyfluoroacetone (HFA). There's
scant evidence for PFOA being harmful, but HFA
is known to be very harmful, especially to birds
and pregnant women.

After scorching my last PTFE pot, I threw it out
and haven't used any since. I use cast iron,
but I don't fry eggs. If I did, I'd get a PTFE
pan and be very careful with it.