Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Farm Raised Trout?

On 20/02/2012 10:25 AM, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I had some Koi in my back yard "water feature". I had a goldfish pond
>> that I used to put goldfish in. One year I splurged and put in some Koi.
>> At the time, those guys sold for $6-15 apiece. They started
>> disappearing. My wife saw the last one go..... a Blue Heron. Those
>> *******s never bothered with the gold fish that used to cots $1 per dozen.

> Evidently, Blue Heron's are gourmands. heheheh

I don't know if it is the owl decoy that I put up beside the pond or
that I replaced those apparently tasty Koi with the smaller and less
appetizing feeder goldfish, but they don't bother with these cheap carp.

FWIW.... I am pleased with the results of my goldfish pond experiment.
We used to have a problem with mosquitoes and it didn't help that we had
an orchard next door with lots of ruts and low lying area for the
mosquitoes to breed in. I figured that if there was a small pond it
would be the perfect place for the mosquitoes to breed. They could lay
their eggs in the nice calm water and then the larvae could live in the
pond, and if it was well stocked with fish who weren't being fed the
eggs and larvae would would become fish food.

I don't know if the fish pond gets all the credit for the reduced
mosquito population or if the neighbour sell the orchard and the new
owner building a house and landscaping the yard and getting rid of all
those water holding ruts.