Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Are there foods you've never eaten?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:16:24 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Tiger Lily > wrote:
>: On 2/14/2012 3:05 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>: > : Kate, I know, and I also love Dijon mustard. Just not on kosher type
>: > : deli meats. Gotta have the spicy deli style.
>: >
>: > : Susan
>: >
>: > Not necessarily hot, but spicy.
>: >
>: > Wendy
>
>: grin, yes!
>
>: but it is interesting to see folks who are used to the yellow stuff
>: using mustard that isn't 'just the yellow stuff'
>
>: slather it on the hamburger or sandwich, take a bite, and hope they have
>: a newspaper between you and them! LOL
>
>: kate
>
>You should have tasted my Mother's home made mustard. Take Coleman's
>Mustard Powder, mix with hot water to consistancy desired. Let sit for 10
>minutes adn serve. Now that is way hot, lke the mustard in Chinese
>restaurnts, which I beliee in made by a similar method.
>
>Wendy

I have a friend who makes her own mustard. This was absolutely
delicious, but it uses real sugar. I wonder if it could be adapted
with Splenda? Probably..... This is the recipe she sent me along
with her notes just as I got it. I have never made it, but I kept
the recipe.

*************

Rita Mae's Hot and Sweet Mustard Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup Coleman's Dry Mustard (1 1/2 small cans)
1 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
2 egg yolks
1 ½ cups yellow prepared mustard (least expensive brand)

Mix dry mustard and vinegar, allow to sit for 8 hours OR strain (make
it like you would gravy)

Add sugar and egg yolks to the dry mustard and vinegar, slowly heat
until boiling.
Boil at least 10 minutes (because of the eggs) until it starts to
thicken.
Add the prepared mustard.
Put into any glass jar, no seal needed.

Keep refrigerated, will keep 9 months or longer.

Makes about a quart.
You can double or triple the recipe.

I've found with that recipe, instead of soaking the powder for so
long, you can mix the powder and vinegar just the same way you'd mix
flour and water for gravy, saves time and works the same.