Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Robert Zaleski Robert Zaleski is offline

Default New starter into dough?

You can minimize dough waste by keeping the batch small, I'd always stir and then throw half out before adding the water and flour back in. I don't know if anyone has an ideal minimum amount, but I think I have only 1/2 to an inch of the mason jar full when I finished stirring (I use weights more, about 50 grams seems to be right when I'm just feeding). Then when it's finally ready I'll stop throwing it out and let the last 2 feeds get it bigger. With an early starter like yours, I leave a fork in and stir, stir, stir. Someone said they thought it helps, and it seems like worth a shot to me.

Best of luck, it takes awhile before it get's right, and a bit longer to get used to cooking with it, but the bread is certainly different. Be careful what you mix in early on too, as I think it'll affect the flavor until you get some stable cultures in charge of the starter.