Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Review: Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 21:46:03 -0800, Bob Terwilliger
> wrote:

> > I hope it tasted better than it sounds!

> We had the tuna and the shrimp mousse instead. No point in going out to
> buy chicken livers and blood oranges while the seafood and Meyer lemons
> were right there in the refrigerator already.

That sounds sooo much better, really!

> >> * Seared tuna steaks with savory Meyer-lemon zabaglione

> > Would you please post the recipe (or a link to it) for your
> > zabaglione? I don't care if it's here or on FB.

> Put three egg yolks and one egg into a double boiler. Whisk until
> uniformly yellow. Add three tablespoons heavy cream, a quarter-cup of
> Meyer lemon juice, a little salt, and white pepper to taste. Cook over
> simmering water, whisking vigorously, until mixture is discernibly
> thicker. Remove from heat and whisk in another three tablespoons of
> heavy cream. (This is almost like hollandaise only it doesn't have any
> butter and it has that one whole egg instead of all yolks. The whole egg
> gives a fluffy texture, which is what I was after.)

I'm thinking I *will* have a use for this... somewhere, sometime,
somehow.

> >> * Shrimp mousse: The zabaglione took three egg yolks and a whole egg. I
> >> used the egg whites as the binder for the mousse. Just puréed the
> >> (peeled and deveined) shrimp with the egg whites, some salt, and some
> >> tarragon, spooned the mixture into ramekins, covered with foil, and put
> >> into the steamer until firm.

> > Are you saying the shrimp was in it? If so, never mind.

> The shrimp mousse was a separate item. It was kind of a shrimp sausage,
> but it wasn't in a casing; it was steamed in the ramekin.

Oh, that's sounding good now. Thanks.

> > Candied red bell pepper? Would you please give a quick review of what
> > you did to make it? I won't be making any but the process is
> > interesting.

> Cut up a red bell pepper, discarding the seeds, stem, and white
> membranes. Put two-and-a-half cups of water and a cup of sugar into a
> fairly-small pan. Add the red bell pepper pieces and simmer over
> medium-low heat until the pepper chunks are soft and the water has
> become a thick syrup (but *not* with any caramel color to it; that means
> you've gone too far). The bell pepper pieces will become very soft as
> they cook, so take care when handling them. Gently turn pieces every now
> and then so they'll cook evenly. When liquid has reduced to a thick
> syrup and bell pepper pieces are soft, remove pieces carefully and dry
> on a rack or Silpat.

Thanks, Bob - and see guys? We can actually be civil to each other on
occasion.