Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Review: Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

sf wrote:

>>> MAIN COURSE
>>> Chicken livers with blood-orange glaze and segments

> I hope it tasted better than it sounds!

We had the tuna and the shrimp mousse instead. No point in going out to
buy chicken livers and blood oranges while the seafood and Meyer lemons
were right there in the refrigerator already.

>> * Seared tuna steaks with savory Meyer-lemon zabaglione

> Would you please post the recipe (or a link to it) for your
> zabaglione? I don't care if it's here or on FB.

Put three egg yolks and one egg into a double boiler. Whisk until
uniformly yellow. Add three tablespoons heavy cream, a quarter-cup of
Meyer lemon juice, a little salt, and white pepper to taste. Cook over
simmering water, whisking vigorously, until mixture is discernibly
thicker. Remove from heat and whisk in another three tablespoons of
heavy cream. (This is almost like hollandaise only it doesn't have any
butter and it has that one whole egg instead of all yolks. The whole egg
gives a fluffy texture, which is what I was after.)

>> * Shrimp mousse: The zabaglione took three egg yolks and a whole egg. I
>> used the egg whites as the binder for the mousse. Just puréed the
>> (peeled and deveined) shrimp with the egg whites, some salt, and some
>> tarragon, spooned the mixture into ramekins, covered with foil, and put
>> into the steamer until firm.

> Are you saying the shrimp was in it? If so, never mind.

The shrimp mousse was a separate item. It was kind of a shrimp sausage,
but it wasn't in a casing; it was steamed in the ramekin.

> Candied red bell pepper? Would you please give a quick review of what
> you did to make it? I won't be making any but the process is
> interesting.

Cut up a red bell pepper, discarding the seeds, stem, and white
membranes. Put two-and-a-half cups of water and a cup of sugar into a
fairly-small pan. Add the red bell pepper pieces and simmer over
medium-low heat until the pepper chunks are soft and the water has
become a thick syrup (but *not* with any caramel color to it; that means
you've gone too far). The bell pepper pieces will become very soft as
they cook, so take care when handling them. Gently turn pieces every now
and then so they'll cook evenly. When liquid has reduced to a thick
syrup and bell pepper pieces are soft, remove pieces carefully and dry
on a rack or Silpat.

Bob