Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael Kuettner[_2_] Michael Kuettner[_2_] is offline

Default Sacher torte

"Boron Elgar" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2012 12:14:29 -0700, gloria p >
> wrote:
>

>>I just came across American's Test Kitchen and they are making an
>>extra-chocolate Sachertorte. I went to the website and it's a "premium"
>>recipe. I.E. even though I have subscribed to the magazine for years
>>and have a couple of copies of their "Best Recipes" cookbooks, they want
>>to charge me for the stupid recipe. (Yes, I know I can do a 14 day
>>"free trial" but I won't do those because I'm being more selective about
>>sharing my credit card, and I don't want the hassle of canceling within
>>14 days.)
>>
>>Does anyone have it to share?
>>
>>gloia p

> This is the only one I see and it is marked "Premium," as it is also
> on the CI subscriber pages. Hope this is it.
>
> Frankly, these *******s have gotten a ton of money out of me over the
> years and screwed me on various subscriptions by front-loading them
> with 2-3 month old issues before sending the current one.
>
> Enjoy!

Ah, Neimann-Markus (sp?) - cookie recipe strikes again.

They've screwed you again, btw. That's no Sachertorte.

> Published January 10, 2007.
>
> Serves 8 to 10
>
> This cake stores very well in an airtight container or under a glass
> cake dome in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours. The cake texture
> becomes slightly more dense and the overall flavor more intense after
> at least 6 hours in the refrigerator. Bring the cake to room
> temperature before serving with whipped cream and, according to
> tradition, a cup of strong coffee.
> Ingredients
>
> Filling
> 1jar apricot jam (18 ounces, about 1 1/3 cups)
> Glaze
> 1/2cup heavy cream
> 2tablespoons light corn syrup
> 4ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine
> 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract

<snort>
The glaze consists of
250 g sugar
1/8 l water
200 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine.

Corn syrup ? <shudder>

> 1recipe Chocolate Génoise , cooled and split in half according to
> illustrations below (see related recipe)

That recipe is mercifully missing.

> Instructions
>
> 1. For the filling: Process apricot jam in food processor until
> smooth, about 10 seconds. Transfer to small saucepan and bring to
> simmer, stirring constantly, over medium heat. Remove from heat and
> cool to room temperature.

Yes. Makes much sense.
"Simmer jam and cool it." The writer of that "recipe" seems to have
seen the preparation from afar through binoculars and didn't get it.
It's nonsense.

> 2. For the glaze: Combine cream and corn syrup in medium saucepan
> and bring to full simmer over medium heat. Off heat, add chocolate;
> cover and let stand for 8 minutes. (If chocolate has not completely
> melted, return saucepan to low heat and stir constantly until melted.)
> Add vanilla; stir very gently until mixture is smooth. Cool until
> tepid so that spoonful drizzled back into the pan mounds slightly.

<shudder>
You cool the real Sacherglasur to 40 deg C.

> 3.

<snort and snip>
> Pour remaining apricot jam on
> top of cake and, using offset spatula, spread jam over edges and along
> sides of cake.

Pour at room temperature ? Right ! Ohmygod....

> Allow excess jam to fall off sides of cake onto baking
> sheet. Refrigerate cake on wire rack set on baking sheet until apricot
> jam is set, about 30 minutes.

<snort>
Whatever for ?

> 4. Pour chocolate glaze on top of cake. Using offset spatula,
> spread glaze evenly over top of cake and spread it along sides of
> cake. Refrigerate cake, still on rack set over baking sheet, until
> set, at least 1 hour and up to 48 hours. Transfer cake to a large
> platter and serve.

Ah, at least they call it cake.

<snip>

Thanks for a good laugh.