Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rusty[_2_] Rusty[_2_] is offline

Default Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

On 2/14/2012 2:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 08/02/2012 2:17 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
>> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?
>>
>> We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
>> still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
>> of some kind.
>>
>> For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
>> for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
>> choices.
>>

> We were out for dinner a couple nights ago to help my SiL celebrate her
> birthday. Being an "upscale Italian" it was basically overpriced pasta
> and red sauce dishes and we sort of blew the eating out budget on that
> one. I have to admit that the calamari appetizer was the bet squid I
> have ever had. My poor brother still has to take his wife out for
> Valentines day. I guess that is the price he payfs for his wife working
> while he is retired.
>

> I am cooking lamb shanks for my sweetie. I am planning on braising them
> in dark beer. That is one of her favourite dishes, and mine. At this
> point it is a toss up whether we have it on barley or garlic mashed
> potatoes. I cheated for dessert. I bought some nice pastries at the good
> bakery shop in town.

That sounds great!

We are grilling some tenderloin steaks, which we will serve with a
mushroom wine sauce. Garlic mashed potatoes and a large romaine salad
with mushrooms, grape tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese, to go with. I
just baked a Chocolate Pecan Whisky Pie for desert. We will drink 2005
Ledson Knights Valley Merlot with the dinner. As the steaks are
grilling, we will have shrimp cocktail with some excellent homemade
Sauvignon Blanc. Life is good! Rusty in MD