Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer
Steve Bonine Steve Bonine is offline

Default Beer formula recently discovered from 1825 Archives

On 2/11/12 11:21 PM, David M. Taylor wrote:
> The above recipe is intriguing to me. It appears to be not a very
> wimpy beer, but fairly strong, and could be classified similar to a
> Baltic-style porter. Here's my best guess of how I would tackle it:
>
> 5 gallon recipe
> OG~1.070
> ABV~7%
> IBU~34
> SRM~29
>
> 7.25 lb British mild ale malt
> 3.5 lb British treacle
> 2 oz Kent Goldings (leaf hops, 5.5% alpha, 60 minutes)
> Wyeast 1313 London ale yeast
>
> Make a reasonably big starter a couple days in advance. Mash the malt
> alone at 158 F for 1 hour -- thick mash of about 0.9 qts/lb. Infuse
> with boiling water and sparge as normal. Bring to boil, add treacle
> and hops, and boil for an hour as normal. Chill to 64 F and pitch
> yeast. Ferment 7 days at 64 F. Secondary if desired. Prime and
> bottle or keg as normal.

Too much treacle in it for me. That doesn't make it wrong, just not my
personal taste. I've brewed with treacle, and a little goes a long way
in my opinion.

Oddly enough, I could not find a listing for Wyeast 1313. 1028 is
"London Ale". Typo, or just a variant?