Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.food.drink.beer
David M. Taylor[_2_] David M. Taylor[_2_] is offline

Default Beer formula recently discovered from 1825 Archives

The above recipe is intriguing to me. It appears to be not a very
wimpy beer, but fairly strong, and could be classified similar to a
Baltic-style porter. Here's my best guess of how I would tackle it:

5 gallon recipe
OG~1.070
ABV~7%
IBU~34
SRM~29

7.25 lb British mild ale malt
3.5 lb British treacle
2 oz Kent Goldings (leaf hops, 5.5% alpha, 60 minutes)
Wyeast 1313 London ale yeast

Make a reasonably big starter a couple days in advance. Mash the malt
alone at 158 F for 1 hour -- thick mash of about 0.9 qts/lb. Infuse
with boiling water and sparge as normal. Bring to boil, add treacle
and hops, and boil for an hour as normal. Chill to 64 F and pitch
yeast. Ferment 7 days at 64 F. Secondary if desired. Prime and
bottle or keg as normal.

I might have to try this recipe one day. It will require some bravery
as the character of treacle/molasses can be pretty severe. But it
should be interesting to try, once anyway. If anyone out there wants
to try it, let me know how it turns out!

--
David M. Taylor
"Just a drink, a little drink, and I'll be feeling GOOooOOooOOooD!!"