Posted to rec.food.cooking
itsjoannotjoann itsjoannotjoann is offline

Default Does Anyone Still Make Angel Food Cakes From "Scratch"?

On Feb 11, 7:16*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

> When I would make them myself, I used a dozen eggs, and always held my
> breath that the separation of the whites and yolks were perfect, as one
> teeny drop of egg *yolk in with the whites..a person is "sunk" for
> having them whip up properly and achieving 100% success.
>
> Judy

An egg separator or even a slotted spoon is great for separating the
yolks from the whites if you're fearful of yolks landing in your
whites. If each egg is separated into a small bowl then that white
added to your mixing bowl would calm your apprehension over yolks
getting into the whites. This also gives you a chance to look at each
broken egg to make sure it doesn't look 'off.' The yolks would go
into another bowl to be used for something else.

I've seen people separate the eggs while holding the yolk in their
hand while the white oozes through the fingers. I'm not into that
method myself and use either a separator or slotted spoon.