Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young[_6_] Nancy Young[_6_] is offline

Default Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

On 2/10/2012 8:24 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> On 2/10/2012 1:37 AM, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>> Kinda sad that in this cooking group there are only two people who
>>> intend to cook a special meal on the special occasion that is
>>> Valentine's Day. It's especially sad when you consider that it's one of
>>> the nights when restaurants will be at their *worst*.

>> I do appreciate the fact that you make a special occasion of
>> Valentine's day for your wives.

> His wives? Didn't know Bob was a Morman.

(laugh) Bob's and Bryan's.

>> I've just never been a Valentine's
>> Day kind of person and don't take it to mean I am knocking it.

> Me neither. Whenever I had a girlfriend or "the wife," I always made
> special dinner plans. Any man with a wife/girlfriend AND half a brain will
> do something special on Valentine's Day. I often see men at the grocery
> store on VD morning buying last minute roses at a very inflated price.
> hehehe

I'm kind of low maintenance when it comes to stuff like that. The
rest of the time I'm spoiled rotten, believe me.

Of course (giving Gary a narrow look), no one's dared to call
me 'the wife.'

>> Having said that, it's one of those days I wouldn't consider
>> going to a restaurant, like on New Year's or Mother's Day.

> When I was married, the wife always wanted to go out to a restaurant for
> Thanksgiving. Not good, said I. "This is a day of home cooking

Absolutely. Depends on the circumstances, of course, but I'd
rather have a chicken dinner than go out for Thanksgiving. Or
meatloaf.

> Many years later, I tried that and me and my daughter went to one for
> Thanksgiving. Big mistake!@ The food tasted like frozen dinner served on a
> nice plate. And no nice smells in the house all day....and no leftovers
> either. Ever since, I cook Thanksgiving dinner here. If invited to
> someone's house, I'll do my own dinner the next day.

Ditto! Last year was the first time we didn't do that, normally
Saturday after it's home cooked TDay here. It might have something
to do with no free turkey anymore, we just never got the inspiration
to do it up without the bird taking up half the refrigerator already.

nancy