Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Stuffed shells.

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : >
> : > It is hard for people to keep track of all your allergies and food
> : > dislikes and if not allergic to eggs many may not bother with the
> : > ingredients on the egg substitutes, as they are called. In addition,
> many
> : > who have issues with eggs have issues with only the yolks or the
> whites.
> : > I remember this being an issue with some kids when my kids were young.
>
> : I don't expect anyone to keep track of my allergies. But why would
> anyone
> : think Egg Beaters are an egg substitute? They're not! They're eggs!
> And I
> : don't know about people who have issues with yolks only. However her
> reply
> : was to my not putting eggs in the stuffed shells. No mention of yolks
> or
> : whites. So why would she think I could use something with part of the
> egg?
> : Ah, but like countless others she had no clue that Egg Beaters were
> eggs.
> : No telling what all those people thought they were made of.
>
> : I read every label on every food. I always have. Only now it is
> necessary
> : to me to read and re-read and look for "may contain" or "made on shared
> : equipment with". That is something a person without allergies wouldn't
> need
> : to do.
> : >
> : > Many folks, if they have no issues with certain kinds of food see no
> need
> : > to read ingredient lists. Often nutritional information is what
> concerns
> : > then if hey are not bothered by allergies. I only check for certain
> : > ingredients if I am having someone over who is sensetive to some
> : > ingredient like nuts or gluten, etc. Otherwise they are of no concern
> : > me so why squint at print almost iillegible to me with my macular
> : > degeneration just to see if they do or don't have something I don't
> care
> : > about. I may check for kosher issues, but not for stuff others might
> be
> : > allergic to, unless they are my house guest.
>
> : As I said... I have always read ingredients. There are certain things
> we
> : simply don't eat. Like HFCS, TVP or trans-fats. I personally think
> it's a
> : horrid thing that people just blindly eat things without questioning
> what is
> : in them.
>
> Eggbeaters are advertised and listed in recipes as egg substitutes,
> geherally for poeple watching either calories of chloesterol so they thing
> [...]

TVP is texturized vegetable protein. May or may not be made of soy. To me
the taste and texture is horrible. And I do not personally believe that soy
is a healthy thing for anyone to eat. I believe it is what caused my
thyroid problems.

Again... I have always wanted to know what is in my food. And as
diabetics, I think we all should. I do not eat low carb but there are still
a lot of things out there that have too many carbs for me.