Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Stuffed shells.

Julie Bove > wrote:
: Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And I want
: to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't think I have
: ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way back before we knew
: of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones. And I can still do that
: for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I can't eat them.

: I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg. It's
: just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the spinach part.
: All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach, thawed and juices squeezed
: out.

: I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used frozen, but
: I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely and
: adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in lasagna
: because you let it sit after baking and the juices would be absorbed? I do
: put other veggies in my lasagna and I do saut? them first.

: So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach finely and
: add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it first?

: Thanks.

You do have to reduce some of the liquid in the raw spinach or the result
will be watery. YOu shoul dcook the spinach down(It doesn't take long)
and then I woul dchop it and drain well, including squooshing it to remove
water.

Wendy