Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default 10 'crooked' layers cake

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 07:37:03 -0500, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> Ovalette was a new one on me-- It helps the eggs rise and keeps them
> stable. 'industrial cake emulsifier' - some folks have substituted
> condensed milk.

I don't consider myself a baker, but I don't see what condensed milk
is going to add besides sweetness and maybe some bulk... I doubt it
"helps" eggs to rise. Isn't Cream of Tartar the egg stabilizer of the
Western world?

> http://www.thelittleteochew.com/2009...onge-cake.html
> Any other thoughts from the cake-bakers?

I've seen the word ovalette in print but that's about it. Googling, I
see Yelpers say it is supposed to be stocked in some stores around
here. Maybe you can Yelp for it in your area if you're interested in
trying a recipe where it's called for as an ingredient. I wouldn't
try substituting anything until I ate something where it was an
ingredient so I'd know what I was looking for in my finished product.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/