Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lou decruss Lou decruss is offline

Default Negative calories

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:31:03 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 2/3/2012 10:57 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:32:50 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> I read somewhere recently that it's a myth about the negative
>>> calorie thing, but I don't have a problem believing it's true.
>>> I mean, if something has near to no calories, you use up more
>>> taking the stuff out of the refrigerator and chopping it!

>> According to snopes it's true but there's other issues involved.
>>
>> http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp

>Thanks. I say it's a wash, but there is only so much celery
>or lettuce I can eat, even if I was dieting.

I like celery but it needs to be cooked in something or filled with
cream cheese. I'm not an Old Bay freak but it's good sprinkled on the
cream cheese filled celery.

>> I met an anorexic woman 20+ years ago who eats loads of it. She's
>> 5'9" and weighed 140 when we met. Last I heard she was at 107. She's
>> in her mid 50's and looks like she's in her 70's.

>I feel sorry for her, that can't be fun at all. Being so
>skinny doesn't feel that great, plus, as you say, you look
>old and drawn.

I feel sorry too but I have to keep her at an arms length. Eating
disorders come with other issues.

Lou