Joe Sallustio

Default Removing alcohol

That sounds right to me too. Your comment on the temperature
approaching 100 C is right on too, water does not boil at 100 C unless
it's pure and at a barometric pressure of 29.92 inches of mercury (760
mm hg). I used that boiling point as a calibration check when doing
precise calibrations and here in Pittburgh PA the barometic pressure
is usually around 740 mm hg. which reduced the boiling point by at
least 1 degree C. We are around 1000 feet above sea level, it is
reduced at higher altitude. We are not talking about major temerature
swings here, so a thermometer that reads in 5 degree increments would
not be useful as a heads up.

Boiling will impact the taste in several ways, it messes with the acid
and SO2 levels too.
Regards,
Joe

http://www.amitar.com.au/~druid1/RavensWing.html