Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Post courtesies was Req: cooking rutabaga in micro

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:26:36 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:35:06 -0500, biig wrote:

> >> I didn't realize that would happen

> >I took the time to try and explain it nicely and thoroughly to you so
> >you would understand the problem.

> I've very recently decided it's not worth the time on people who can't
> make a post readable. Many people here and in other groups post from
> google or use outhouse express and they do just fine. Sometime back a
> few regulars from google were having a wrap problem and all three of
> them fixed it. Spamtrap1888 uses google and Bob T uses outhouse and
> both post perfectly.

I'm willing to spend a little time. Let me try to summarize the
problems:

1. People who use GoogleGropes don't have a lot of control over what
happens. They use a browser and GG does what it wants. GG seems to
quote correctly, but it throws in some weird header.

2. There's a line wrapping problem with some GG posts. I don't know
why, or how to fix it, so I hope some kind soul will respond. I don't
have a big problem with this, since my client, line wraps incoming posts
so they are readable. They get a little ugly, especially as the quoting
gets deeper and deeper, but I can read them.

3. When Outlook Express (and its relatives) is used to respond to a GG
post, for some reason, it sees that weird header and decides not to
quote at all. The solution is quotefix. I am assuming that the user
can see that the quoting is not correct by just looking. However, since
the user is doing the replying, they know what is their reply and what
is the material they are replying to. Subsequent readers don't know
that. It all looks like one post. The attributions are also at the
same level. I believe that the user can just add their own quote marks
as they reply. That's a big pain, but doing nothing means that the post
is very unclear as to who posted what.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA