Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Req: cooking rutabaga in micro

"biig" wrote:
>"Jim Elbrecht" wrote:
>>"biig" wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have tips on cooking a rutabaga in the microwave. I know
>>>wrap it in paper towel to absorb the wax, but knowing how long it takes to
>>>get diced done with steaming or boiling. The one I have is about a lb.
>>>or
>>>a little more. Thanks for any advice....Sharon in Canada
>>>

>> Hmm?-- when I cook rutabaga, I cut in half so I have a flat side, then
>> slice into 1/2 slices.[or 3/4 if I'm going to roast it]
>>
>> I peel the slices with a paring knife with little effort-- then dice.
>>
>> Are you microwaving just to soften the skin?
>>
>> Jim

> Not to just soften the skin. I was told a few years ago that you can
>cook it completely in the micro. I have arthritic hands and cutting and
>peeling is a challenge, so thought I'd try it in the micro this time.
>....thanks...Sharon

You really should pare rutbaga to remove that wax or it will melt and
can make a mess even when wrapped in paper towel. And rutabaga being
a root vegetable along with not being very clean can often have bits
of sand embedded, your dentist will love you. The wax is not a
protectorant to keep it clean, it's a protectorant to keep rutabaga
from drying out so it actually prevents you from washing it. And you
can't cook rutabaga whole anyway, it needs to be sliced/diced into
fairly equal sized pieces to cook evenly. You need someone with
large, strong, sensitive hands to manhandle your rutabagas.